بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
[Update: I’ve added two more translations, one of which also contains an explanation.]
Tuhfatul Atfaal is a poem by Imam Al-Jamzury for those who wish to learn tajweed (rules of Quranic recitation). It’s shorter and easier than the more famous Al-Jazariyyah (also known as Mandhoomatul Muqaddimah).
For those who might be studying it and would like an English translation, here goes:
1. The Children’s Bequest – Translated by Dr. Abu Zayd
Please note that there is an error in translation on page 4. It states “these precepts most perfect.”
Unfortunately, the author is referring to his teacher (who is mentioned in this line) as most perfect and not the precepts. Obviously, there is some issue of exaggeration here.
2. A Gift for the Children – Translated by Sister Ahlaam
3. A Gift for Childen (Novices) – Translated by Brother Amr
The Arabic text is included as well.
4. Aysar Al-Aqwal Sharh Tufatul Atfal – Translated by Brother Saleem Gaibie
This is an excellent explanation for those who wish to improve their Arabic because it gives the English translation of all the important words.
Note: It’s obvious from this translation that Imam Al-Jamzuri (rahimahullah) was a Sufi, so beware of that. May Allah forgive him for his creedal mistakes and may He accept this work from the Imam.
5. Abu Taubah’s Explanation of Tuhfatul Atfaal – This is a 28 part video series of which the first five classes are free. Please visit The Fiks for more information. (This course is called Learn Tajweed).