بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
Many people seem to focus on memorisation at the expense of the proper recitation. However, it is MANDATORY to recite the Quran properly whereas it is RECOMMENDED to memorise it.
So, one needs to tend to the mandatory issue before dealing with the recommended one.
How does one do that? Well, by learning tajweed, which is studying the rules of recitation.
Here is a lecture series that discusses the importance of tajweed:
[Note: The lecture is in Arabic with English translation directly after it.]
1. Introduction into The Quran & It’s Sciences (Download)
2. The Importance of Learning the Arabic Letters & Reciting With Tajweed (Download)
3. Common Mistakes Made Whilst Reciting (Download)
4. The Impermissibility of Reciting The Quran Without A Teacher/Shaykh (Download)
5. The 4 Rulings Regarding Tajweed Part: 1 (Download)
6. The 4 Rulings Regarding Tajweed Part: 2 (Download)
7. The Description of How RasulAllah used to Recite the Quran (Download)